I am Matthew Peters, currently the Director of Data Science at Moz. I am the tech lead and manager of the team that owns our machine learning systems, all the way from prototype to production.
Some of the projects I have lead at Moz include:
- Page Authority and Domain Authority - these are machine learning ranking models we use to score 200+ billion URLs every month.
- Algorithmic web spam detection. I designed and implemented a big data system that crawls 500+ million sub-domains each month and tags them with a spam score.
- Customer segmentation and scoring to inform internal marketing efforts. Recently we have had success using a recurrent neural network to model customer lifecycles.
- Dragnet, an state of the art webpage de-chroming algorithm
- State of the art keyword extraction algorithms from web pages
- Web page author detection
- RSS feed ranking
I have Ph.D. in Applied Math from the University of Washington.